Ten years ago, I was 16 year old junior in high school, and in the band. When it happened, no one came down to the football field to tell us what had happened. There are two schools that sit next to the field and the high school was not far away either. When we got back into the band hall, I sensed something was not right. I kept saying something was not right. When I found out, I was shocked. I spent all day at school watching the footage, nothing else was learned in school that day. Like most children of Military personnel, I knew immediately what that would mean to us. I knew the possibility of my father being activated was a very real possibility. At the time, I was afraid that I would be called out of class to say goodbye to him before he left. I was very lucky compared to others in that though my father was activated, he was within an hour to hour an half away from me. I also had loved one around the DC area, and I worried for their safety.
Now ten years later, I am thankful for each day I have with my family, and that I am free. Thank you to all the people who work as police men, firemen, and the military. Without you all, we would not be safe.
As a way for me to remember that fateful day, the children's department at church discussed it with the children. Our biggest mission was teach to forgive, but not forget what happened. We had them sign thank you cards for a local police department and fire department. Later in the afternoon, the children's pastor and I delivered the thank you notes and baked goods to the police and fire departments as a way of saying thank you for keeping us safe.
As a way for me to remember that fateful day, the children's department at church discussed it with the children. Our biggest mission was teach to forgive, but not forget what happened. We had them sign thank you cards for a local police department and fire department. Later in the afternoon, the children's pastor and I delivered the thank you notes and baked goods to the police and fire departments as a way of saying thank you for keeping us safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment